Muslim leaders call for patience
toward anti-Islam film
COTABATO CITY, Philippines —
Muslim leaders and local clerics want the local communities to be sensible
rather than be sensitive and emotional in dealing with the mounting
indignation over the controversial “The Innocence of Muslims” film, which has
been perceived as a means to malign Islam.
Acting Autonomous Region in Muslim
Mindanao Governor Mujiv Hataman said that he is convinced that the film’s
having been uploaded to the video-sharing site, YouTube, could be a ploy to
stir violent reactions from among Muslims and, as a consequence, destroy the
image of Islam.
Hataman said he is confident that
while ARMM residents look up at the issue as an affront to the Islamic faith,
they will deal with it according to the value of saba’r, the Arabic for
patience and endurance.
Islam strictly prohibits
retaliations against groups or communities for an offense supposedly done
alone by a solitary individual.
“Under Islamic principles, one
cannot force Pedro to do reparation, or be penalized for an offense done by
Juan,” said Ustadz Esmael Ebrahim, a commissioner in the National Commission
for Muslim Filipinos.
Patience and perseverance
“Now is the time for us to
exemplify what Prophet Mohammad had taught us, to be patient in addressing
challenges that come our way,” Hataman said.
Even officials of the Moro
National Liberation Front (MNLF), which crafted a peace pact with the
national government on September 2, 1996, agreed that reacting violently to
the controversial
YouTube video will only unduly glorify the anti-Islam film
and its producer.
Cotabato City Vice Mayor Muslimin
Sema, also chairman of the largest and most politically-active of the three
groups in the MNLF, said preachers in their ranks have been tasked to educate
their followers on the need for them to be patient and forgiving in dealing
with the issue.
Sema said Islamic history books
tell of the examples on how Prophet Mohammad opted to “swallow pride,” accept
humiliation and opt for reconciliation to end conflicts; initiate the
settlement of disputes peacefully and promptly, instead of witnessing any
violence.
Sema said many of them in the MNLF
are convinced the anti-Islam YouTube film happened for a purpose; to put into
test the sobriety and perseverance of Muslims in confronting any affront
against Islam.
“We, Muslims believe that
sometimes we stumble and fall today, purposely for us to rise and bounce back
as better, peace-loving Muslims the next day,” Sema said.
“Reacting violently on that
YouTube movie will only create a bad image of Islam,” he added.
Impregnable
For Hataman and Sema, evil motives
must not prevail over good and affect peaceful coexistence among followers of
the world’s great religions.
“It is not easy to destroy the
image of Islam, by any form of media, unless Muslims themselves do wrong and
destroy themselves,” Hataman said.
Hataman said the book, “The 100: A
List of the Most Influential Persons in History” by Michael Hart has retained
in its No. 1 slot the name of Prophet Muhammad, 37 years after its first and
only edition was written.
Members of the newly-launched
provincial party chapter of the joint United Nationalists Alliance-Partido ng
Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan have called on Muslims in Maguindanao
to be sober and avoid instigating any unruly reaction against the YouTube
publication.
The party’s figurehead in
Maguindanao, Sultan Kudarat Mayor Tucao Mastura, who is running for governor
of Maguindanao in next year’s elections, and his running mate, former Talayan
Mayor Datu
Ali Midtimbang, both asked preachers to remind Muslims about how
Prophet Mohammad used diplomacy in addressing attacks on Islamic communities.
Mastura and Midtimbang, who were
sworn in, along with dozens of their followers, into the PDP-Laban by Vice
President Jejomar Binay and the party’s secretary-general, Jose Peping
Cojuangco, Jr., in Manila last week, are both keen on introducing “religious
awakening” as a platform for propagating Muslim-Christian solidarity in the
province.
Mastura and Midtimbang, who are
both close to clerics in the province, and members of their newly-launched
political group, all acknowledge that any sectarian animosity among
Mindanao’s Muslim and non-Muslim folks can stifle the Southern Mindanao peace
process.
From:

John Felix Miciano Unson